As with everything, there is a proper procedure necessary to produce the desired result. In grape planting, it is absolutely essential to do it the right way. If you’re wanting your plants to produce a bountiful crop, then you must learn how to do grape planting correctly in order to grow healthy vines which produce quality grapes.
Generally, certain types of grapes will grow best in certain locations. It is imperative that you learn which are best suited to your area. With that knowledge, you can begin to experiment to see which are the best for your vineyard, whether that vineyard is your back yard or one that covers many acres.
The following eight steps can act as a guideline for you when you are ready to do your grape planting:
1. The first step has to be picking out the right site to plant your vines. It has to be a sunny location which allows the sun to cover all parts of the plant and it must also drain well. The land you choose for your vineyard could be growing grapes for many years. Some vineyards are still producing after fifty years. You will need to be persistent since it could take up to six years for the plants to bear fruit for making wine.
2. Second step is to prepare the soil and make sure it is the right consistency to drain correctly. If your soil is mostly clay you will have major problems trying to grow grapes. You can, of course, loosen up clay by putting additives in the soil. Sawdust, sand, and compost are some things that will work to loosen up the clay.
3. Select the best grape variety for the use you have in mind for the grapes. What varieties are best for making wine in your area? What kind of wine do you want to make? This will require a little research on your part, but the end result will be fewer headaches and an easier growing process with a healthier harvest.
4. Prepare your soil now that you know which variety of grapes you are going to grow. Remove all the weeds and till the soil well. Add whatever organic substances you need to fortify the soil and make it ready for plants. Compost should be spread over the whole grape planting area.
5. The planting rows have to be spaced far enough apart to allow proper growing. They should be approximately 9 feet apart. Within the rows, the distance between plants should be approximately 6 to 8 feet from each other. It depends on the variety of grape you choose to grow.
6. The plant should be planted at the same depth it was in the nursery. If they are planted deeper they will not grow correctly. If they are planted not deep enough their roots could be exposed and become diseased and the plant may die.
7. The hole should also be large enough in circumference so that you spread the roots out fully. Then fill the hole in with dirt and firmly pack it down to remove all air pockets. Water well to make sure the water soaks deep down.
8. Now that you have your grape planting done you can set-up your trellis system. This will be used to train the plant to grow on. Just make sure this system is strong enough to support the plants when they are full of grapes.
As you can see grape planting does not have to be a complicated process; however, this is a process that must be followed consistently in order to harvest quality grapes for making wine. The eight steps listed above will give some idea of the work that needs to be accomplished when actively involved in grape planting.
Author Box Treesa Kintrick has 1 articles online
This basic information is just part of what you need to know about Grape Planting.
Print article Report Add New Comment Eight Important Steps Necessary For Grape Planting
Log in or Create Account to post a comment. * * Security Code: Change Image Related searches: Eight Important Steps Necessary For Grape Planting
grapes of wrath grapevine grapefruit planting potatoes producer grapeseed oil planting zones grapevine mills mall to do list producers Related Articles Eight Important Steps Necessary For Grape Planting
Growing Grapes at Home
Publisher: Mclean Dearth Growing grapes at home is never an easy task. You need to be familiar with the planting techniques. You need to have patience because growing grapes takes a very long time. But if you want to have grapes for your own table or wish to start a simple wine business, better learn how to take care of your precious grapes. Growing Wine Grapes
Publisher: Victor D Williams While growing wine grapes, the basic thing to remember is that each grape variety is unique in its own way with its own distinct flavor and characteristics. Grapes from the Vitis vinifera family are the most commonly used variety of grapes used for wine making. Usually this variety is found in Europe but there are varieties that are abundant in North America as well. The Vitis Labrusca is another popular variety and is commonly found in eastern parts of United States and Canada. The Importance of Pruning Grapes
Publisher: Allan Jeffrey It usually takes about 3 years for a grape vine to become mature enough to produce grapes. During this time special care must be taken with pruning grapes in order to encourage better growth. Four Critical Areas Necessary For Controlling Grape Vine Disease
Publisher: Treesa Kintrick No grape vine is immune to grape vines disease. Some vines may require sprays to control disease specific to that plant. In any event, being vigilant and properly maintaining the vines can reduce or control problems with grape vines disease. Pruning Grapes – Training Your Grapevine
Publisher: Pierre Duponte Growing grapes and making wine out of them, has been in practice since the beginnings of farming tradition. In order to maintain a healthy grapevine, it takes work and dedication. Grapevines, like most other plants, require regular weeding, pest control and pruning in order to give a prosperous harvest. Since it can take up to 3 years for a vine to give fruit, this time allows the grower to tame the plant’s growth -and production- through pruning. Grape Trellis Basics
Publisher: MJ James Vines cannot support themselves, so you need a trellis not only for support but also for making sure that your grapes grow healthy and properly. The trellis will also train them to grow upwards. In order to make sure the grape vine will produce quality grapes, you need to install the trellises at least eight by eight feet from each other. Backyard Grape Growing – Grapes How To Grow
Publisher: Barbara Reeves Growing the grapes at home is easy and simple. With the help of few steps you can grow great fruit which is cheap and allows you to enjoy fresh fruit all the time. Pruning Grape Vines
Publisher: Victor D Williams So at long last you have taken a decision of growing grape vines. You may be thinking all that is required is to plant the vine and you will have a great bunch of grapes. Isn’t it? Wrong, it cannot be further from truth. The most essential part of growing high quality grapes after planting is pruning grape vines. 5 Steps to Growing Grape Vines
Publisher: Danie Wiam In this article, I will go over the basics for growing grape vines in your backyard. This article will give you everything you need in order to get started in the hobby of grape growing. Step-by-Step Process of How to Grow Grapes
Publisher: Harry Rouster Growing grapes for making wine can be a very satisfying experience. From the planting of the grape vines to the caring for the vines and grapes to the pruning of the grapevines and the harvesting of the grapes for the making of the wine. There are however some points that need to be kept in mind when going through the process to grow grapes, these important points can be found below. This article was published on 2010/03/27 You might also like
Taylor Swift Shines in her Short-sleeved Gucci Gown on the Red Carpet at the 2014 Grammy Awards