The refinery was started in Could of 1933, ten months after the Tidewater company give up accepting “Black Oil”. The new refinery was positioned just west of the Village of Bolivar on what is now Refinery Street. The refinery was started because the local oil males needed a spot to ship their “Black Oil”. The 900 barrel a day refinery opened up January 6, 1934 using 20 folks. The refinery was officially opened with a parade. The refinery was named “Allegany Refiners”. They produced fuel, motor oil, kerosene, and different petroleum products. Allegany Refiners also owned their very own gathering strains positioned in Obi, Clarksville, and Nile together with storage tanks and even a couple of railroad vehicles that they had leased. Allegany Refiners was sold to Quakerstate in 1945 and closed in 1947. The refinery was closed attributable to the top of the Shawmut railroad that ran behind the refinery.
Pioneer Oil Museum |
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.